First up - something you might not be expecting... how to make those bland, nutty Brussels something of a hit at the dinner table or as a party salad. Party. Salad. They shouldn’t go together but with this cheeky little recipe they do! You’ll have your friends asking you where you found it. Send them here of course ☺️
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Wash and tail the Brussels.
- For a salad, with a sharp knife thinly slice brussels sprouts. For a side dish, cut them in half to keep a bit of bite. Thinly slice red onion and chop apple and keep aside,
- For a salad, place all salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss until combined.
- For a side dish, melt some butter in a small frying pan. Add the red onion, keep it moving so it doesn’t burn. After 3mins add the Brussels - keep the mix moving. I like to add a splash of water or, if I have it, potato or veg water. Adding a splash will stop the onion and Brussels from catching and also keep the mix moist and tasty). Simmer gently until the Brussels are just tender (not super soft). Leave in the pan til you’re ready to serve. Add the apple at the end and/or the goats cheese (I tend to leave it out of the warm dish).
- Before serving toss the Brussels mix in the dressing so they’re coated. Perfect! Mooi! - “Mooi” is Dutch for beautiful 😉